Friday, April 25, 2014

To plot or not to plot...

It always happens. I come up with a new story idea about that I'm dying to write. The first 3k words or so flow so smoothly, I'm sure I'll finish my first draft in no time...

Then it slows down a little...

A little more...

Until I spend more time staring at the blank page than writing.

I've finally accepted that I am not a panster. I admire the people who can follow the unknown world of their story and push past the uncertainty.

I, however, am not one of those people.

Usually at this point, I buckle down and write an outline. Not a ridiculously detailed outline. More like a sentence or two about each scene. And then I can start writing again. The outline changes as I write, but it gives me the direction I need to keep my fingers typing. I guess this makes me a plotter, but more a half foot in, half foot in the sky type.

What about you? Where do you fall on the plotter vs. panster spectrum?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the outline. I follow a very similar pattern as you described! I try to tackle each chapter one at a time. I like figuring out what happens while at the same time knowing the main game-changing scenes, and at least having a general direction for where I eventually want to end up. I enjoy seeing what I end up uncovering in each chapter/scene. All I can say is keep at it! Try everything and anything that will keep you writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I agree that it's fun to still uncover new things in scenes/chapters as I go!

      Delete
  2. Yup, I pants until I get stuck, and then jot down a paragraph or two of outlines and that usually helps me get going again. Would that make us...Paouts? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Paouts" I like it! haha... or "Planster" :)

      Delete
  3. I am a major plotter. Any time I try to pants, I wrote my way into the worst corners that I can't get out of. I admire the pantsers, but I am so not one of them!!!

    ReplyDelete